April 6-8 2018
Please Register by March 11
110 Boyd's Hollow Road
As a point of reference, Biglerville is in apple country, between Chambersburg and Gettysburg.
From the center of Biglerville, you take Rt 234 West to Shippensburg Rd and make a right. Follow to Boyd's Hollow and make another right. Jim's house is not far up Boyd's Hollow Road on the left. It has an A-frame Alpine design.
The format will be hike, live shoot and some rope skills. Our camp will be on Jim Foster's property outside Biglerville PA. Photo below shows aerial view of the AO. Long Pine Run Reservoir has a state-owned range that is an excellent outdoor facility. We will work on rifle and pistol markmanship. See also the AT map of the area.
Camp Opens 1400
Training Overview 1900
Weapons Inspection (Reed)
Range Rules (Spangler)
Rope Objectives (Lutz)
Language & Musik Instruction 2000
(Bottomley & Reiner)
Social Time 2030
Light Calisthenics 0700
Appell & Weapons Inspection 0800
Departure for Hike/Shoot/Rope 0830
Clean Weapons 1700
Prize Drawing 1900
Social Time 1915
Departure on your own schedule
UNIFORM & EQUIPMENT Minimum Requirements & Recommendations
No one will be excluded because you don’t own something and no one is required to do anything physically dangerous. We will lend and improvise creatively as needed. Hiking distances and pacing will accommodate everyone, regardless of fitness. We are limiting the hikes to 3-5 miles.
- Wool and/or HBT Feldblusen and trousers as weather dictates
- Boots (mountain boots preferred, low boots acceptable, modern hiking boots acceptable as a back-up or if you have issues with your feet)
- Service shirt
- Gloves (needed for colder temperatures, and to protect your hands on the hike and for rope training)
- Wool sweater
- Hiking Socks (do not wear cotton socks. All wool or wool/synthetic blends will protect your feet and let them breathe)
- Canteen with water
- Mess kit
- Sleeping bag
- Cot or air mattress
- Saturday lunch in the field-bring what you intend to eat
- Day hiker’s first aid kit
- Ammunition for the live shoot if you plan to shoot. Ammunition will not be provided by the unit.
- Windjacket, Anorak or Camo Smock
- Wool blanket
- Innersoles for your boots
- 2nd pair of boots or footwear for camp
- Folding wooden chair or stool
- If you have a zelt tent, bring it as a back-up just in case. We’ll have the troop tent and the commander’s large zelt tent which should cover our needs.
No Class III. No Full Auto permitted at the range.
Range rules limit 3 shots in rifle magazines and 6 shots in pistol magazines. Based on that, leave the semi-auto long guns at home. Bring your K98’s and hand guns.
- Fun and Kameradschaft
- Learn something you don’t know or improve on something you do
- Mountain Warfare Doctrine Basics
- Learn The Big Threes (most commonly used):
- 3 German field command terms
- 3 Whistle signals
- 3 Hand Signals
- 3 Knots
- 3 Songs (Erika, Es war an Edelweiss, Panzerlied)
- Mountain Marching
- Improve Marksmanship
- Rope Handling/Belaying
Those who attend will get free copies of the pocket-sized training booklets, Ausbildung #1 The Soldier in the Squad, and Ausbildung #2 The Soldier in the Mountains. These contain easy references to what you need to know in a format you can take anywhere.
We will hold a drawing with many chances to win something you can use in the hobby.
Schedule and Requirements can be downloaded and printed below.